Wesham Road Runners compete in the Mid-Lancs Cross Country League and regional cross country events such as the Lancashire Championship at Witton Park.
Cross Country is a team event with a scoring system similar to the inter-club series, but the races are run through fields rather than on road. The races are usually approximately 10k for men and 6k for women. There is also a full programme of junior races with the shortest being around 2k for u11s.
The condition of the running surface can vary. Sometimes the majority of the route is on trail like paths, but more often, the courses offer heavily muddy sections. Cross country spikes are the best footwear for most races, but some runners prefer trail shoes on the firmer courses.
Cross country is free to enter and refreshments are provided from our club tent.
To view the league structure, and for more information about the fixtures, please visit the mid lancs website
Fixtures and Results 2021/22
|9th October 2021||Burnley||Mid Lancs||Results|
|30th October 2021||Wilson Playing Fields, Hyndburn||Mid Lancs||Results|
|27th November 2021||Sefton Park, Liverpool||Mid Lancs|
|8th January 2022||Witton Park, Blackburn||Lancashire Championship|
|15th January 2022||Lawson's Ground, Blackpool||Mid Lancs|
|12th February 2022||Leigh Sports Village||Mid Lancs|
|26th February 2022||London||National XC|
|12th March 2022||Burnley||Mid Lancs|
Cross Country Championship
To qualify you must complete any 3 of the Races. Awards can be won in the following Open and Vets categories, age on 26 Sept 2021:
- Men – Open, Vet 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60 and 70+
- Women – Open, Vet 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and 60+
- Points awarded based on WRR finishing position in Open and Vets categories as follows:-
- 1st home gets one point, 2nd home 2 points, etc., in each category
- Best 3 races to score.
- Lowest score wins each category – in the event of a tie the 4th score counts and if still a tie the person who has completed the most qualifying races will win.
- One award per person